Homemade Holidays....sounds fun, sounds sweet and even easy, right? Sometimes it can be but then there are those times when you come across a recipe or craft idea, purchase the items required to create said recipe or craft only to find yourself confused or frustrated because the recipe doesn't turn out right or maybe the measurements are incorrect. Well, stay with me here because I have compiled some very easy AND foolproof recipes that are wow-worthy and qualify for wonderful gift giving.
- 1 Cup Coconut Oil (add more or less depending on the consistency you want - this is a very forgiving recipe!)
- 1 Cup Organic Sugar
- 6 tsps. Essential Oil of your choice (some good combinations are: lemon/rosemary; rose/bergamot; citrus/jasmine; peppermint/eucalyptus…be creative and don’t be attached to any particular combination)
Optional ingredients would be: coffee grounds, tea leaves, dried flowers or herbs.
Warm coconut oil in the microwave or on the stove – do not melt. Mix sugar and oils in and combine completely. Spoon into small containers and wrap with a bow!
This one is SUPER easy and the flavors just get better and better.
- 8-10 vanilla beans
- 16 ounces alcohol such as vodka, bourbon, brandy or rum
Split the vanilla beans lengthwise (cut into pieces as well if it makes sense to fit into the jars or bottles) then place one in a clean jar or bottle and cover completely with alcohol, continue with the remaining pods until you've used them all. Cover the jar or bottle with it's lid and give it a good shake. Wrap them up with bows and hand them out as gifts! They will begin to taste like vanilla extract after about a month!
Mood Boosting Room Spray
This one's great because it's also pretty sitting out on the counter!
Nourishing and balancing lavender has been shown to reduce feelings of anger, agitation and insecurity. Combine it with lemon essential oil to help elevate the mood and re-energize a tired mind.
- 1.5 ounces distilled water
- 1.5 ounces vodka or witch hazel (avoid rubbing alcohol if you can)
- 4 ounce spray bottle
- 15 drops lavender essential oil
- 15 drops lemon essential oil
- Sprig of dried lavender
Pour the alcohol into a small spray bottle. Add the essential oils and dried lavender and shake well. Add the water and shake again. Spritz around the house whenever you need a lift.
This is just a start. There are literally thousands of homemade gift ideas on the internet but these three are tried and true. Enjoy and Happy Holidays!